Monday, July 21, 2014

Mupples Goes To Europe: Luxembourg and KODALINE!

After Amsterdam we took a train down to Luxembourg!
Okay wait, let me be more specific.
We took a million trains to get to Luxembourg.

Basically we were trying to save $$$ so we took the cheapest route with the most hectic transfers.
It was CRAZY tiring because we were literally SPRINTING from train to train with our 10-14kg backpacks.
It's really funny to think about it now in retrospect, but omg at the time it was SO stressful and exhausting.
My thighs burned like mad at the end of the day.

But it was allll worth it because we went to Luxembourg for one thing: KODALINE! :D

Initially we weren't intending on going to Luxembourg, but Nick told me that Kodaline was gonna be playing there (about a month before my trip) so I HAD to watch them hehehe.
Yuehuan loves Kodaline too so she was psyched, but Lihao didn't know any of their songs.
Okay fine, he knew 2 lines of the chorus of All I Want.  Hahaha.
But he was still really onxszx, and by the end of the night he learnt about half the album HAHA.
He kept bursting out in song throughout our time together, to the point where Yuehuan had to tell him to stop singing LOL.

Okay fodos!!!

Funny thing we saw on the way from our hostel in Amsterdam to the train station!

On the tram! :D
I was actually quite paranoid on all the rides in Amsterdam because there was this gyp staring at my stuff suuuuper sneakily during my first ride from the coach station to the hostel on the first day.
So I was grasping onto all my belongings for dear life while commuting hahaha #kiasusingaporean

Our mad train schedule.
Some of the transfers were alright, like the first one where we had a 2 hour window?
But the first train got delayed, and so did the next, and the next.
So in the end we had to run like mad for the rest of them.
Our 10 minute windows cut got to like 2 minutes???
And the platforms were damn far from each other, like we had to run up the stairs and crossover and run back down.
Maaaadness.

Waiting for our first train at Amsterdam train station!


Comfy first train!

Sigh, the country side is soooo beautiful!

Salami stick for breakfast hahaha.
I loooove salami sticks!!
Super miss the Slim Jims they used to sell in Carrefour when I was young.
D:
So I spammed salami sticks in Europe lolol so unhealthy but so good!


Breakfast!!
Strawberry yogurt with muesli and a bottle of berry smoothie!

After one of the hectic transfers hahahahahaha.

And after recuperating from another hectic transfer LOL.



The train toilets were all surprisingly really clean, despite the occasional graffiti!

And we were quite fortunate because most of our rides were rather empty, so we could spread out and piak on the seats to sleep/rest.
Plus there were power plugs on some of the rides WOOOH luvz it.
I think I'll really die without electricity to charge my phone/camera/laptop heh /:

And after all the madness, we finally reached Luxembourg!!!  Yay!!!

"We maaaade itttt"

(Super punctured hahaha)

We headed down to YHA Luxembourg and we were really impressed.
 I honestly wasn't expecting much after what I experienced at Amsterdam, but omg YHA is really very very nice!
The lockers are huge, and there are sufficient power plugs, and the sheets are nice and fresh, and there's a sink in each room to brush teeth/wash face/wear contacts!!
Love it!

We stayed in a 6-pax room, and 5 minutes after we settled in the other 3 guests came in.
Turned out they were Singaporeans too!
And they were there just for Kodaline too!
Hahahaha

Funniest thing is that hours later, I found out they're hall friends with Nick!
Suuuuch a small world seriously!

At the lobby!

Exploring Luxembourg!
It was quite warm that day, but it was nice and dry so I wasn't sticky at all.
I loooove all the castle-looking buildings!
I admit I didn't really research much on Luxembourg before heading down because I was really just there for the gig, so maybe I had taken photos with some historical buildings unknowingly HAHA.

So beautiful right!!




Stumbled upon a bunker hahaha









Teehee so sweet/scandalous.












Searching for nomz for lunch~





Stumbled upon a market!
There are really so many markets in Europe O_O


Bahgah for lunch!!
Forgot what's the place called because the burger was really bad lol like the patty was mad dry and tasteless.
But I finished every morsel because I was STARVING from all the running around.
It was already around 3pm+ and I didn't have anything other than my little breakfast at 8 in the morning.



Then we headed down to the gig venue about 2 hours early because well, we're Singaporeans.
HAHA.

Once the doors opened we RAN to the front hahahaha.
Must must must get a good spot!

The opening act, Seed To Tree!
Find them on Facebook here! :D


Cute soundman hahaha.

Yuehuan, Clarence (one of our new friends who shared our room!), Lihao and I! :D


KODALINE!!!!



Hahahaha oh and there was this super high middle-aged woman who puuuushed her way to the front and started dirty dancing next to us.
It was HILARIOUS.
Like lip-licking finger-biting and all other sorts of inappropriate gestures (゚Д゚ )!!!!
And she was SO sweaty and smelly.
When she first pushed her way forward, she tried to push Yuehuan away and Yuehuan was like O_O!!!! HALP hahaha.
We eventually managed to grab her back and shove the mad woman away haha oops violence.

SO CUTE GAAAH.



















I haz selfie with Kodaline hehe





Goooosh they were SO good - even better live!
They played ALL their songs!!
& the crowd went apeshit when they played All I Want again for encore :D :D

Met Nick there again!


Kodaline Kodaline Kodaline Kodaline Kodaline 


Hehehe photo with the frontman of Seed To Tree, Georges!

New friend Kenelm photobombing me hahahaha.

After the gig we had a few drinks with Nick and his friends!

All deez weird bierz with da Singaporeans!

The next morning!



Silly makeup-less face hehehehe I look like playdoh.

Then we packed up and headed out for breakfast/lunch before heading off to the train station!

Atas water at Pizza Hut hahaha.
We chose not to trust the rest of the eateries in Luxembourg because of the horrible burger we had the day before lolol so Pizza Hut was a safe bet.

Pepperoni Pizza!!!

Lasagna Rolls!  So interesting!

Bacon and mushroom aglio olio!

My scampi and asparagus pasta!


Me Lihao Kenelm and Yuehuan!

Kenelm was SO nice.
Basically Luxembourg is super super steep and hilly, and my backpack was really killing me.
And he offered to swap backpacks with me!  His was really really light.
And he carried it allll the way from YHA to Pizza Hut!  Which was REALLY far, trust me.
Thanks Kenelm!! :D

After lunch we headed to the train station to book tickets to Brussels!!
We decided not to book these tickets in advance because we heard it was easy to get tickets on the spot, and it really was! (:

Pretty ceiling in the station!

Cool old school train!

Bye bye Kenelm!!

Us and our giant backpacks D:

Goodbye Luxembourg!!  Brussels here we come!! :D

Overally I quite liked Luxembourg, except for that burger I had hahaha.
The people aren't reallll friendly, but not that unfriendly either.
The sun was a little mad at times, but it's still better than Singapore!
And the hills actually aren't that bad if you're not climbing uphill with 14kg backpacks LOL.
Probably not the most exciting place to go to, but the scenery's real pretty!
And it was quite a breath of fresh air, literally, after icky Amsterdam hahaha.

Alright, time to go~
Til the next post! (:

No comments: