Saturday, January 05, 2013

Doesn't make sense to me

I've never understood how we are supposed to feel better when people say things like:
"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"
or
"In a few years time, you're going to look back and laugh at this problem"

Like, seriously?
I've never understood the point of these over-used phrases ever since I was a young angsty kid.
And I was hoping that one day when I grew up or became mature enough, I'd understand what these "grown ups" were trying to say.
But I still don't get it.

Not only does it make it seem like the "grown up" thinks that my current problems are insignificant/a joke, but it also implies that my problems are only going to get bigger.
It's like the universe is trying to prod at you and give you more shit to handle to see what's your limit, and the shit will keep piling up until one day it will ultimately kill you.
Am I making sense?

It's like saying you're getting stronger only to be able to face bigger problems.
And when bigger problems arise, you (obviously) won't get killed, so you will get "stronger", so that you'll be able to handle even bigger problems.
Then the cycle will just continue right?
How in the world is that supposed to be encouraging???

Granted that most of my primary school problems are probably really insignificant now when looking back in retrospect, but at that point of time, it probably meant a lot to me.
Isn't that what really matters?
Who cares about whether in the future it's going to seem like nothing?
At that point of time, I felt terrible and I probably just wanted some comfort, and not some warning about how things are going to get worse in the future.
What's the point of telling me that these problems will seem like nothing in the future?
How am I supposed to respond to that?
"Yay this problem is only a fraction of the heartaches I'm going to face in my lifetime!"
-_-

I will probably never understand.
The only reason I can think of that would make people want to say such things, especially to children, is to subtly hint to them to grow the ____ up.
And that's an awful reason.

K done ranting, I've had an awful day.
Good night world!

1 comment:

4HM3D KH4L1L KH4N said...

sometimes, we tell ourselves little lies to make us stronger.

there is a phrase 'One is not burdened by more than one can take.'